Thursday, 20 July 2017

The Initial - Character Models

Earlier today I discovered a game called "The Initial" in the Newly Released tab on Steam. This game instantly caught my eye because the main character bore an uncanny resemblance to Dead or Alive's Honoka. Digging into the community hub and some reviews, I discovered other people who had come to the conclusion that the character model was indeed stolen from Dead or Alive (although they said Marie Rose. Likely because of the hair).

The Initial - Character Models

The Initial is an indie hack and slash game that that on the surface looks very similar in gameplay style to Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae (the indie side of the spectacle fighter, if you will). I haven't played nearly enough of it to do any kind of review, I literally only played long enough to take screenshots for this investigation, but so far it seems surprisingly playable, just heavily in need of someone to check their English translations. 

However, to get back to the question of whether the main character's model was lifted from external sources. So far it was just a single thread and a single review where this was discussed so it hardly counts as a controversy, but I was wondering about it myself, so I went into my Dead or Alive screenshot folder and I did science to it!

vs. Honoka

vs. Marie Rose
So yeah, I think there's definitely a chance that the developers of The Initial were inspired by the girls from Dead or Alive, but I don't think there's enough evidence to assume the main character's model was ripped from it. The characters' faces have a different shape. Honoka has a larger chin, smaller eyes, a smaller forehead, smaller ears (that are located differently) and a way thicker neck. Marie Rose has the same hairstyle, but it also doesn't look at all like the same model. Dead or Alive's character models are more highly detailed and their bodies have an overall bulkier frame. Not to mention, the textures are entirely different (my only doubts are in that Ruri's and Honoka's eyebrows are remarkably similar).

In short, I don't think there's any need to cry foul. 

If you want to check the game out for yourself, you can find it here: [The Initial on Steam]

Yeah, I'm not sure what that means.

Links & References

Images from:
- The Initial (Steam)
- Dead or Alive 5: Last Round (Steam & PS4)

No comments:

Post a Comment